Sunday, April 25, 2010

4-23-2010 Lemons, Lemons, Lemons!

Getting up early to leave for Capri and Vietri Sul Mare was tough after several nights of constant noise from dusk to dawn. Thankfully, Rome won ther soccer game two nights ago and not last night. The Autostrada is nice and well-maintained so our drive to Naples was easy. We traveled to Capri by boat, leaving from the port of Naples. Such a contrast from the relative wealth of Rome! Naples is desperately poor with the unemployment rate nearing 30-35%. It was quite sobering to drive through the crowded, dirty, and dilapidated neighborhoods to get to the port.

Our trip to the Isle of Capri didn't take too long and soon we landed at a picturesque little island at the edge of the Bay of Naples. Capri is supposed to be surrounded by bright blue water, but sadly we didn't see it as a front had moved in and we were dealing with clouds and rain. We went from the sunny and hot Rome to cloudy cold and windy Capri. The only brightness apparent on the island today was provided by the groves of sunny lemon trees. The whole island seems to smell like lemons, I even got a cologne with the essence of lemons in it. It's really a refreshing scent that lifts your spirits, even on a cloudy day.

I've decided that if I ever move to Italy, I'm going to move to this region, maybe even the Isle (if I can afford it!). I must have had the best lunch I've had in ages - salad caprese, ravioli caprese and caprese cake. Basically, a tomato and mozzarella salad, cheese ravioli with tomato sauce, and tomato and cheese cake...just kidding! The cake was chocolate and almond cake with a light flavor. I spent an hour in epicurean heaven watching the rain drift down the side of the mountain. How quickly I switch into the Italian mode of enjoying a leisurely lunch with an afternoon siesta afterwards. And did I mention the lemon gelato yet? It was so fresh that it tasted like fresh-squeezed lemonade from lemons just off the trees, only a lot colder.

No comments:

Post a Comment